Monday, July 20, 2009

France on My Mind

I just finished reading Julia Child's "My Life in France" and I loved it. I remember seeing Julia Child on PBS when I was a little girl. She had a really interesting voice and distinctive manner. I had recently seen the trailer for the new movie "Julie and Julia" and decided to pick up "My Life in France".  Julia had such and interesting life. I love that she moved to a foreign country, couldn't speak the language, and ultimately decided to master the art of french cooking. Amazing and brave. I love that she had a incredibly supportive husband. I love that she was interested in even the smallest details. (I'm into the details.) She had to convert the French recipes into American recipes with American ingredients and measurements. She adapted and worked hard, but most of all she never felt sorry for herself or at least she didn't mention it. And she did this all after the age of 35!

I'm now reading the book by Julie Powell, "Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously". In a moment of weakness, she decides to cook all 524 recipes in Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" in a year. She started a blog so that others could follow her progress. I would say that this was equally amazing and brave. I pretty sure that Julie Powell, also had an incredibly supportive husband. After reading about some of the recipes in "Mastering the Art of French Cooking," I'm not sure I'd have the courage to even try to cook them. Let alone feed them to my family. 

I'm all about pictures and I needed some to post with this blog entry. So I went to Etsy and found a few things that caught my eye. These items are distinctly French to me. 
Enjoy!

































































No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails